Friday, April 23, 2010

It's only Natural

I pledge to use no paper or plastic products from stores, only reusable totes or bags.
I pledge to shop at farmers markets and buy local organic produce.
I pledge to pick-up trash in my community and encourage my children and others to do the same....
but I will not vow to sleep outside tonight in a tent for Earth Day.


In honor of Earth Day this week, a very important day I am thinking about the world around me and how the decisions I make, will effect me, my children and their children and what I can do to make a difference.

Safavieh

Thom Filicia, interior designer, "Dress My Nest" is making a difference with his new line of rugs for Safavieh. These rugs are awesome and I was able to see them first hand in High Point this past weekend as well as Thom Filicia strolling down the street. How excited was I, almost blurted out in the street, I love your show...although I am sure it wouldn't have been the first! Boy am I glad I composed myself and thought better of it and kept walking.



Filicia's rug's for Safavieh are weather resistant, stain resistant and hand woven in India of 100% plastic yarns from recycled soda bottles. These are amazing, good for Thom!

Tortoise Shells

It seems when I was at Market there were a lot of natural elements out there. These faux tortoise shells from BoBo Intriguing Objects remind me of the the fabulous shells in the Tides Hotel in Miami designed by Kelly Wearstler.




The Tides


The Tides
Photos Courtsey of Urban Grace & Materials Girl Blog 

Ikat

The May Issue of Elle Decor is trending Ikat for clothing, accessories and home. I love and Ikat print and think it is a natural staple for any room and love that it has been trending for years and personally think it will never go out of style like the tribes that it originated from. Ikat is a style of weaving that uses a resist dyeing process to dye the warp or weft before the threads are woven to create a design on a fabric...similar to the way you tie dye.
Ikats vary from country to country and many symbolize wealth, status, power and prestige. For some countries the Ikat represents something spiritual.
Madeline Weinrib has some of the most beautiful available Ikats by the yard. It is hand dyed and woven in Uzbekistan using the traditional methods.


Elle Decor 2010


Elle Decor 2010



China Seas Island Ikat Outdoor Fabric



Madeline Weinrib pillow


Domino
  Laura Ashley Ikat


NC Museum of Art


I am looking forward to the Grand opening festivities of the NC Museum of Art this weekend! The museum has been closed to make way for a 127,000 sq. ft. light filled  expansion surrounded by sculpture gardens and pools. The building is not only beautiful and will house dozens of new acqusitions including Auguste Rodin but also will be responsive to environmental sustainability.
The Museum's statement is "the superb collection of The North Carolina Museum of Art will be showcased in an environmentally concious building that creates a beautiful contemplative setting, blending nature and art to create a positive experience for all visitors." 
The pictures speak for themselves and I am sure I will leave with a feeling of Euphoria. We are so lucky to have such a wonderful place in NC!






Photos courtesy of Flickr



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...